- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Standing 4566 meters above sea level, Mount Meru’s impressive peak is third in Africa and second in Tanzania after giant Mount Kilimanjaro. Mount Meru is within Arusha Park, one of the only National Parks in Tanzania that allows canoeing safaris and affordable guided walks across buffalo-filled plains. Mount Meru summit is an excellent opportunity to capture the sunrise at Mount Kilimanjaro. These four days of highly scenic trekking up through rain forests filled with birds, and even at Mariakamba hut areas, you can see elephants and buffalo, which will blow your mind away.
All our climbs are led by highly trained mountain guides, professional and experienced cooks, and extremely friendly porters. As with Kilimanjaro climbs, most hikers will climb Meru at night (not a must on Meru), but it does allow you to catch a fantastic sunrise over a blanket of low clouds as the sun begins to climb with Kili as a backdrop.
Time : 2:00 am
Arrive in Tanzania and transfer to Vijiji center Lodge - Arusha
Arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO). We will meet you and drive you to Vijiji Center Lodge Arusha, where you will meet your guide for a pre-climb briefing and an equipment check.
Time : 7:00 am
Vijiji Center Lodge, Park entry to Meriakamba Hut
Hiking time: 5 to 7 hrs
Distance: 10 km
Habitat: Montane Forest
We drive from Arusha to Momela Gate. After the official registration at the gate, we will drive to the starting point where we will be given an armed ranger to escort us. Make sure your camera is ready to capture beautiful moments! Animals we can see along the way the includes elephants, zebras, and giraffe, monkeys, antelope (just to mention few). Dinner and overnight night at Miriakamba Hut.
Time : 5:00 am
Meriakamba Hut - Saddle Hut
Hiking time: 4 to 5 hrs
Distance: 8 km
Habitat: Forest to Moorland
The walk from Miriakamba Hut to the saddle below Little Meru is a short day but a steep climb. The walk will take us slowly along the ridge for a spectacular view of the Meru Crater and the impressive Ash Cone.
After hot lunch at Saddle Hut, we can make a short climb to the summit of Little Meru (3,820m) for superb views just before sunset.
Time : 1:00 pm
Saddle Hut - Summit Day – Mariakamba huts
Total ascending and descending time: 13 hrs
Distances: Going up 5 km, going down 13 km
Habitat: Alpine desert, moorland, and Montane forest
We start early at around 1:30 a.m. to climb steeply to Rhino Point (3,800 m.) and onto Cobra Point (4350m). We reach the summit (4,566 m) on time for sunrise there is a possibility to see Kilimanjaro Peak above the clouds. The final part of the climb is along a spectacular narrow ridgeline between the sheer inner cliffs and the sloping outer wall of the crater. We return back and after some brunch at Saddle Hut, we continue down to Miriakamba hut for dinner.
Time : 4:00 am
Mariakamba huts to Arusha
After breakfast, we continue to walk down to the Momella gates for 3 to 4 hrs where we will meet our driver and drive us back to Vijiji Center Arusha for a fresh hot shower, dinner, and sleep.
Time : 2:00 am
International flight or Safari
This day left for your next flight back home. Our driver will be ready to take you to the airport so remember to take all of your belongings. If your next move is safari, then you will be in the safari Land cruiser at 9:30 AM ready for departure.
- Pick-up and drop-off at Kilimanjaro International Airport;
- Transfer to the trailhead in Arusha National Park;
- Pick-up at the end of the trek.
- All fees were collected by the Arusha National Park for Mt Meru trekking (conservation fees, hut fees, crew fees, vehicle fees, rescue fees, and all other fees collected by the Tanzania National Parks Authority).
- One night at 3* hotel (Honey Badger, AMEG Lodge or Park View Inn) before the expedition and one night after; The hotels have everything for your comfortable stay - caring staff, nice rooms, reliable Wi-Fi, restaurant and swimming pool);
- Accommodation in huts on the trek.
All hotel accommodation is based on a sharing basis (i.e. you will be sharing with your travel companion a twin/double room. If you travel alone, we will match you with a same-sex adventurer). Single occupancy in a hotel is available upon request and extra chargers apply. Single accommodation is not available in huts while on the trek, because it is the park rangers who assign the trekkers to the huts.
- Breakfast in the hotel before and after the hike;
- All meals on the hike. Our Mount Meru diet includes energy-rich and highly nutritious meals prepared by our professional high-altitude cooks. In our menu you will find different soups, garnishes, several types of fish and meat, fresh fruit and vegetables; vegetarian/gluten-free/halal options are available at no extra cost;
- All drinks on the hike (coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water).
Hiking and safety equipment
- 4-inch (10-cm) thick and comfortable sleeping mats;
- All group equipment;
- Oxygen cylinders and oximeters;
- GPS-tracking service;
- Complete medical kits.
- All our mountain guides are well trained with certificates for First Aid and Wilderness First Responders from recognized trainers from Denver, Colorado - USA. Our guides check the healthy progress of our customers each day and give advice based on the findings. They know signs of altitude sickness, they know how to deal with it, and so rest assured you will be in safe hands. An oxygen tank is provided for each trip for serious/critical conditions.
- Dedicated support crew (assistant guides, camp master, porters, cooks, etc.).
- Airline tickets;
- Visa fee;
- Lunch and dinner at the hotel (before and after the ascent);
- Personal gear rentals;
- Tips for the mountain crew
- Mountaineering insurance.
No Details Found